Explore the hidden gems of Canterbury with our top picks of the regions most luscious waterfalls! Pack a picnic and enjoy breath-taking views, stunning walks and world-class photo opportunities.
Ryde Falls - Oxford
• 50-minute drive from Christchurch
• Walking and mountain biking tracks
• Dogs allowed. Keep dogs under control at all times.
Ryde Falls is hidden in the heart of Oxford forest. The falls can be accessed from a number of walking tracks in the area, including the Wharfedale Track, View Hill and Coopers Creek.
Devils Punchbowl - Arthur's Pass
• 2 hours’ drive from Christchurch
• 1-hour return – moderate walking track
The Devils Punchbowl Waterfall Track climbs up to the base lookout with truly unforgettable views of the 112 metre falls. During the winter season, brave the chill and enjoy the beautiful sight of the falls when accompanied by snow.
• One-hour drive from Christchurch
• Allow 2 hours to walk the track, moderate fitness is recommended
• A fee is charged which includes a track guide and use of walking sticks
• $10 per adult, $5 per child (under 15)
• Abseiling and Giant Swing available
Nestled in the midst of a working sheep, cattle and deer farm, Washpen Falls offers breath-taking views of the Canterbury Plains. Kick off your trek at the Old Washpen Woolshed and journey through an ancient Volcanic Canyon filled with lush native bush. Mid-way through the looping track you will stumble across the spectacular Washpen Falls. Quick, get the camera out!
Avalanche Creek Falls - Arthurs Pass
• 2-hours’ drive from Christchurch
• Short 5-minute walk to the falls
Three waterfalls totalling 80 metres in height is what’s in store for you when you visit Avalanche Creek Falls in Arthur’s Pass National Park. The lower fall can be seen from the bridge, while the middle fall is visible from the lookout platform at the end of the track.
To see the upper waterfall, and all 3 leaps, cross the road and follow Devils Punchbowl Waterfall track. After 2-5 minutes, look back and marvel at the view!
Anne's Falls - Port Hills
• 45-minute drive from Christchurch
• 2 hours return – intermediate walking track
Off the beaten track, Anne’s Falls is only a short drive away from Christchurch nestled in the Port Hills.
From the parking follow Kirks track, which descends to the stream, until you reach the tracks junction (about 40 mins). Turn left onto Rhodes Track. Once you’ve reached the stream on Rhodes Track, a quick 3-minute stroll will reveal the base of the falls. Make sure you’re wearing appropriate footwear – the track is steep in some places!